The miraculous icon of God’s Mother «The Three-Handed»: its historical way to Spaskyi temple of Poltava town
Keywords:icon of God’s Mother «The Three-Handed», believer, dean, bishop, temple, church, religious valuables, state-party leadership, museum
This article tracks the historical way of the miraculous icon of God’s Mother «The Three-Handed» at the end of the 19th century – the beginning of the 21st century. The author analyzes Ukrainian traditions of worshiping of miraculous icons.
Special attention has been paid to the development of Christianity and church art. In particular, the researcher defines the significance of the relics of Bohorodytskyi cycle. The latest research and publications on the topic have been analyzed. Rich in content historical information on the appearance of the icon of God’s Mother «The Three-Handed» has been given. The exceptional role of the icon by reverend Ioan Damaskin in history has been emphasized.
The researcher reveals the circumstances of painting the miraculous icon of God’s Mother «The Three-Handed». Having analyzed historical documents, the author tracks its transference since the end of the 19th century. The article gives a detailed description of the arrival of the relic at Poltava in 1894 and its solemn placing in Sampsonivskyi Temple. In context of the icon’s history, in the research some aspects of the development of Christianity in Poltava region at the end of the 19th century – the beginning of the 21st century have been revealed.
The scientist describes the fate of the icon in the Soviet period and characterizes the Soviet law on religious cults in context of preservation of religious valuables. The author points out at the peculiarities of the policy of the state and party bodies of power as to Russian Orthodox Church societies at local level. In this format the transference of the icon of God’s Mother «The Three-Handed» is being studied. Analyzing documents, the researcher has succeeded in determining the complex mechanism of appearance of the relic in Poltava’s Spaskyi Temple where it is being kept nowadays.
Bilousko O. A. (2009) Ilarion (Yushenov Ivan Yukhymovych). URL: http://history-poltava.org.ua/?p=3581.
Nestulia O.O. (1995). The fate of church antiquities in Ukraine. 1917-1941. Part 2: The end of the 1920s – 1941: Monograph./Kyiv: Institute of history of Ukraine NASU.
Onipko T.V., Onipko T.A. (2014) Sampsonivska Church of Poltava in Soviet times/Church-science-society: issues of cooperation//Materials of the Twelfth International scientific conference/In homage of Kyiv metropolitan Yevhenii (Bolkhovitinov). – K. National Kyiv-Pechersk historic-cultural reserve. 161-164.
Poltavа Eparchial Gazette, 1894, No.19.
Poltavа Eparchial Gazette, 1895, No.15
Poltavа Eparchial Gazette, 1896, No.32
Poltavа Eparchial Gazette, 1897, No.12–13
Poltavа Eparchial Gazette, 1900, No.25
Registration and exclusion of churches and chapels. State archive of Poltava region (SAPR) F. 4085. D.17. F. 8.
Reports on the entry of exhibits for permanent keeping, from 02.01.1950 to 28.11.1955//Poltava Mykola Yaroshenko Art Museum (Art Gallery).
Copyright (c) 2021 Oleksii Hura
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.