Doctor of philosophical sciences of religious studies, professor, Honored Scientist of Ukraine.
Vice-Director of the Philosophy Institute of the NAS of Ukraine, Chief of Dpt. of Religious Studies
President of the Ukrainian Association of Researchers of Religion
He is one of the founders of Ukrainian religious studies, a famous specialist in the general problems of philosophy, sociology, history and psychology of religion, in the sphere of historiosophy of religion, religious anthropology, cult activities, religious freedom, state and church relations, history of Ukrainian spirituality, religions and religious studies thoughts.
- Kyiv University, PhM, 1960
- Kyiv University, postgraduate, PhCandidate, 1967
- Philosophy Institute of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv, PhD., 1987
- Prof., 1990
PROFESSIONAL AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE:
- 1992-present Vice-Director of the Philosophy Institute of the NAS, Chief of Dpt. of Religious Studies of Ukrainian NAS
- 1989-1992 Chief of the Philosophy of Religion Dpt. in the Philosophy Institute
- 1980-1986 Senior and leading research worker of the Philosophy Institute
- 1960-1980 Associate Professor, Chief of Philosophy Chair in Odessa University, Chernovtsy University, Zhitomir Pedagogical Institute
- Since 1993 President of the Ukrainian Association of Researchers of Religion
- During recent years, he took part in more than 100 conferences, colloquiums, and seminars dedicated both to general philosophical problems and problems of culture , politics, and religion, in Moscow, Belgrade, Salonika, London, Provo, Washington, Riga, Rome, Tokyo, Krakow etc.
- All these years he was the Chairman or Member of the Organizing Committee in a number of different conferences which were oriented on inter-religious dialogue.
- He initiated and edited such periodicals and book series as:
- Ukrainian Religious Studies (bulletin) (since 1996 64 issues, continued)
- Scientific Yearbook “Religious Freedom” (17 issues, continued)
- Information and Analysis monthly magazine “Religious Panorama” (123 issues)
- History of Religions in Ukraine. In 10 volumes (1995-2012).
- Religious Studies Encyclopedia. In 3 volumes (2012-2015, continued)
- The history of religious and theological thought in Ukraine (6 books, continued)
- History of Christianity in Ukraine (7 books, continued)
- Ukraine Religious (2 volumes, 2009-2010)
- Church-state relations in Ukraine (10 books, continued)
- He was the editor of the collective monographs such as “Religious Studies Dictionary”, “Religion in the Spiritual Life of the Ukrainian People”, “The Religion in the Context of the Present-Day Spiritual and Social Realities”, “Church and Social Problems”, “Academic Religious Studies” and others.
- He has organized a new specialization Religious Studies in the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy University, elaborated teaching programs for the special course Religious Studies, the passport of the scientific speciality in the religious studies, the concept of the religious studies education in Ukraine, etc.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS:
- Ukrainian Association of Religious Studies (President)
- Philosophical Society of Ukraine
- Association of Ukrainian Studies
- New York Academy of Sciences (academic)
- International Association on the Freedom of Religion
- International Academy for Freedom of Religion and Belief
BIBLIOGRAPHY – more than 1000 scientific publications; among them the main ones are the following publications in Russian and Ukrainian:
- The ideology of mordern religious sectarianism. – Lviv, 1971 (Ukr.)
- The Philosophic Apology of Religion. – Kyiv, 1985 (Ukr.)
- The Ideology of Russian Orthodoxy. – Kyiv, 1986 (Ukr.)
- The Orthodoxy and Modernity. – Kyiv, 1988 (Ukr.)
- The Orthodox Monastaries in Ukraine. -Kyiv, 1990 (Ukr.)
- Culture. Religion. Atheism. – Kyiv, 1991 (Ukr.)
- Church and Social Problems. – Lviv, 1992 (Ukr.)
- Christianity and Ukraine. – Kyiv, 1992 (Ukr.)
- The Mytropolyt Illarion. – Lviv, 1993 (Ukr.)
- Religion in spiritual life of the Ukrainian People. – Kyiv, 1993 (Ukr.)
- Contemporary Religious Situation in Ukraine. – Kyiv, 1994 (Ukr.)
- Religious Spirituality of the Ukrainian: Manifestations, Personalities, State. – Kyiv, 1995 (Ukr.)
- Religious Studies: object, structure, methodology. – Kyiv, 1996 (Ukr.)
- History of Religion in Ukraine. – Kyiv, 1999 (Ukr.)
- Chapters to “Academic Religious Studies”. – Kyiv, 2000 (Ukr.)
- Religion and Churches in the Modern Ukraine. – Kyiv, 2001(Engl.).
- Church of mormons: history, faith and traditions. – Kyiv, 2002 (Ukr.)
- Paganism as a religious phenomenon. – Kyiv, 2003 (Ukr.)
- Religion and Church during the independent years of Ukraine. – Kyiv, 2003 (Ukr.)
- NationalChurch as a manifistation of national identity (ukrainian context) //Scientific yearbook of Chernivtsi university. – 2003 (Ukr.)
- Religious Studies. Handbook. – Kyiv, 2004 (Ukr.)
- The civic religion as a correlation of civic society // Scientific yearbook of Chernivtsi university. – 2004 (Ukr.)
- Ukraine in its religious manifestations. – Kyiv, 2005 (Ukr.)
- Religious Ukraine today: reflections, estimates and forecasts of Professor A.Kolodnyy. – Kyiv, 2009 (Ukr.)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. – Kyiv, 2010 (Ukr.)